The Daughter Chronicles

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Recent milestones for Mia

Milestones are very important for children. More so for brain-injured children. Here are some that Mia has achieved recently:

She has begun turning books around so that they are facing the correct way. She does it pretty consistently. According to her speech therapist, this is a good thing. She is beginning to recognize how things are supposed to be.

We have been fooling around with horns and flutes and whatnot to help her mouth and lips go in the right way. Originally, she would simply grip the mouthpiece with her teeth and exhale, which is an adaptive strategy that isn't really the best way to go. Now she is biting a lot less and forming an 'O' with her mouth, which of course is the way it should be. This will help her form words down the line, since that's still pretty hard.

Progress is slow, but it's still progress!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks. I'll try to keep up to the high standards!

    By Blogger Greg, at 7/3/05 9:24 AM  

  • Dear Greg and Krys,
    LOVE this of course...you and Krys have done wonders with the love of my life, good 'ol Mia. Kudo's for my daughter and favorite son...if ONLY I could have had another child...I would have wanted him to be just like you...great minds think alike ;-)
    I will let YOU discribe to viewers and readers who and what I am..(if you have my crazy mind figured out yet)
    Your site keeps me up to date besides the weekly phone calls which I have to wrestle and smother my mom to get.If I pin her long enough I get almost the whole time allotment!
    Give that gorgous,intelligent princess my love and to you both.
    Love,
    Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21/3/05 3:35 PM  

  • Sorry I spelled 'gorgeous' wrong...I was listening to Court T.V. which has become my new drug of choice.
    Talk to ya soon,
    Me

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 21/3/05 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home