The Daughter Chronicles

Monday, July 11, 2005

More meds for Mia

Unfortunately, this is true. I took her to see her neurologist today (who called us back at 10 pm last Wednesday - he may be slow, but he's dedicated!) and he assigned yet another medication to deal with her seizures. She is starting on Keppra (aka levetiracetam), so we'll see what that does. He wants her to start small and increase the dosage in a few days, then call him next week. The thing that bugs me is this is on top of the other crap she's taking. I want something to replace those, but I'll bug him about that if this doesn't work. As with everything with Mia, I'm not confident. Sad to say, but it's true.

The cool thing is she is much more interested in symmetry these days, as in, she is starting to realize that people have two of certain things. Whenever she points at me cheek and asks, "Dat?" she immediately points at my other cheek. Same thing with ears. So that's neat, because it means she is grabbing her left hand a lot more, and we think she has come to understand that it is a hand and she's not quite sure why it doesn't work like her right hand. Every step is a good one!

Speaking of steps (an unintentional segue, I swear!), she is walking in her gait trainer much better. She's actually lifting her left leg a bit and bringing it forward. Most of the walking takes place on her tiptoes, but it's a start. Her balance is still non-existent, so that still hinders her, but the movement is much better.

Norah is a newborn. I' d like to say more things about her, but anyone who has kids knows what newborns do, and anyone who hasn't - well, I don't want to spoil the surprise. We enjoy her hands - she moves them all about but has no idea what to do with them yet, so occasionally she'll knock her pacifier out of her mouth and have it sort of in her hand, but she freaks out. She's dandy.

One final note - the neurologist was an hour late to his 1 o'clock appointment. The madness continues! Next time I make a doctor's appointment, if they tell me, say, noon, I'm dying to say, "So I'll just show up at one." What would they say? Would they get all snippy? Have we not rights?

Okay, I'll shut up now.

4 Comments:

  • So is Mia eating better?

    By Blogger ymelendez, at 11/7/05 6:34 PM  

  • I showed up to a doctors appt. 10 minutes late (and I called because I was stuck in a horrible traffic jam outside the hospital) and my appointment was cancelled and I was charged for it! I didn't pay it and the next time I went to see the Dr. she was 25 minutes late. I wanted to throttle her and her bitchy office staff...

    So, let me know if the hour late thing works for you. It probably will - the kids are cute.

    By Blogger Roxy, at 12/7/05 9:48 AM  

  • Yazil: She's eating a little better, but it's still a chore. We just don't worry about it - she's getting enough to take her meds, so that's fine.

    Michelle: I think I'll start by telling the nurse I'll be an hour late next time I make an appointment and see what she says. She'll probably insist that he'll be on time. I can't believe they did that to you, though.

    When are you people going to come see the baby????

    By Blogger Greg, at 12/7/05 11:02 AM  

  • We figured we'd give you a few days to settle in... perhaps this weekend? If not this one then the next? We need to see the most beautiful children on the planet!
    :+)

    By Blogger Roxy, at 13/7/05 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home