The Daughter Chronicles

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Worst Daddy ever?

I very well may be. Read on ... IF YOU DARE!

Today I was changing Norah because she had poopy pants, as she often does. So she was on the changing table and I was cleaning her up. I couldn't get the diaper into the diaper pail easily, since it was full and I hadn't cleaned it out yet (part of the worst Daddy ever routine). So I opened the lid and pushed the soiled diapers into the bag further as a stopgap measure, so I could fit the last diaper in there ...

And Norah rolled off the changing table and fell about four feet onto the tiled floor, landing pretty much on her face.

Right in front of me, mind you. I watched it happen - well, the falling part. I missed the rolling part, or I would have stopped it.

Shit. Shitshitshitshitshit! You can imagine, with Mia's situation, that we are very freaked out by this sort of thing - I would guess all parents would be, but I'm just pointing out that we know what can happen to a kid. Norah, of course, was displeased by this turn of events and immediately started freaking out. I scooped her up and put her on the changing table (OF DOOM!) and hugged her and checked her head and face and petted her hair and tried to make it all better. She was unimpressed with my efforts. I got her clothed and walked around with her, holding her against my shoulder and petting her hair. Still unimpressed. I went out and put her on the floor because I felt I should probably call someone - either Krys and/or the doctor. I called Krys first and we decided I should call the doctor and just run it by them. All this while Norah is still crying. The doctor asked me if she had lost consciousness (she hadn't) and I should check for a big lump with a soft center, excessive and uncontrollable crying, lots of vomiting, and a tendency to sleep deeply. I called Krys back and she came home briefly while I took Mia to school so that I wouldn't have to take Norah with me. She put Norah to bed and then went back to work when I got home.

Norah's fine. She was already tired, so part of her crying was probably that. After her afternoon nap I was bringing her out of the bedroom and I dinged her head on the door frame. She looked upset for a second, but then calmed down. Not a good day for Norah's head. I was really upset for a few minutes, but I realize that a lot of parents can tell stories like this. I was just amazed by how quick she was! So we're now making sure the strap is on or we change her in the crib, which is a lot harder than it sounds (she rolls over to get toys and does not enjoy rolling back). A minor scare, but a scare nevertheless. Evil speedy kids!

And yes, I'm the worst Daddy ever. I suck. I hope Krys doesn't call CPS on me.

3 Comments:

  • Tough little squirt!

    You realize that sixteen years from now, she's gonna use this to guilt you into giving her the car keys, right?

    By Blogger layne, at 13/3/06 7:34 AM  

  • Probably, Layne. That's why we will never tell her!

    Good to hear from you, by the way. Glad you're back.

    By Blogger Greg, at 13/3/06 8:01 AM  

  • one word link:

    http://akidcalledemma.blogspot.com/2005/05/hammer-head.html

    dont feel bad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/5/06 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home