The Daughter Chronicles

Thursday, November 18, 2010

What's a Commie, Godless, America-Hater like me to do?

The other day Norah started singing a song. She was making up some lyrics, not singing lyrics at other parts, but when she got to the chorus, she was very clear:

"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free."

Yes, the Lee Greenwood song. Now, it's not a particularly egregious song, is "God Bless the USA." I mean, it's been co-opted by the nutty right, but lyrically, there's nothing wrong with the song. I just know it from the accretions of right-wing wackiness that have attached themselves to it, so I was taken aback by Norah singing it. She said she learned it in music class. I'm not terribly happy about it, as I wish they would sing other, less polarizing patriotic songs (even "God Bless America" would be better), but whatever. I just found it surprising that she learned it in music class.

Of course, yesterday she came home and started singing something that makes me yearn for the days of Lee Greenwood:

"Who let the dogs out? Who, who, who?"

Really, Norah's school? She lated amended it to "Who let the tigers out?", which makes me think they were learning to identify animals using the song and whoever taught it to her used it because it was catchy, but still. She wouldn't tell me where she learned, claiming she has always known it. Yeah, I'll bet.

So, if you're a good atheistic communist who wants the United States to crumble into ash (like all liberals MUST be, right?), which is worse: the Lee Greenwood song or the Baha Men song. Man, what a crappy choice.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home