The Daughter Chronicles

Sunday, October 23, 2005

I may go deaf

I haven't had good hearing in years. Probably all those concerts I went to when I was lad. Simply Red ROX, man! Anyway, for those of you who don't have kids, I can offer some sage wisdom for when you do: say goodbye to your hearing, because you won't be having it for much longer.

Mia screams. It's very weird. She's perfectly happy, but she screams. Very loudly, I might add. Ear-piercingly so. She screams when she wakes up in the morning. She screams when she is in her gait trainer. She screams in the car. Today was ridiculous, because once again she decided not to sleep (a Sunday tradition) and she simply lay in bed, shrieking like some sort of creature that roams lonely moors in Ireland warning people of their deaths. Whenever you approach her while she is screaming, she will smile her beautiful smile at you and promptly scream some more. She will sit on my lap when she wakes up from her nap during the week and, after she wakes up a bit, will start screaming. It's disconcerting.

I don't like her screaming. It's annoying. It's bizarre. It freaked Norah out for a while, but I think she's getting used to it. Most of all, it gives me that low buzz in my ears that I used to get the morning after I went to a rock concert (Wham! rules!). I'm turning into Pete Townshend, and I don't like it. My daughter is deafening me. And she loves it.

I've been trying to get Krys to post more often here, I promise. She has fun stuff to say about Mia that I may have to write about, because she's off making money for the family. I know, she's selfish. Anyway, if I can't convince her to write about it soon, I may have to. Krys is like that - always thinking about herself. The nerve.

1 Comments:

  • HA! Someone who feels my pain!

    My 2 year old screams.

    My 7 year old screams.

    They scream in the same pitch and sometimes do duets. Sometimes, they have scream off, dueling banjo style.

    My entire HEAD hurts after a full day with them.

    I'm so glad I'm not alone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 24/10/05 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home