The Daughter Chronicles

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hey! Norah's doing stuff!

Yes, the joys of parenting: Trumpeting to the world whenever your spawn accomplishes something that we all take for granted. That's what it's all about! It is actually impressive to watch someone learn something, because so many connections have to be made in the brain for it to work, so even if we might take it for granted, remember - we were once that little kid. "Sunrise, sunset, swiftly flow the --" You get the picture!

So Norah recently learned how to tie her shoes. It was actually something for which they received a certificate at school, even though they didn't actually learn it in school. I hear a lot these days about how kids don't need to learn how to tie their shoes because of the magic of velcro, but the point is not tying shoes, but learning complex movements and being dextrous. When I hear people say there's no point in learning how to tie shoes, I want to punch those people right in the brain. But I perservere in my non-violence!!!!

Of course, Norah ties her shoes "wrong." That is, she makes two loops with the laces and then ties those together. If you're unclear what I mean, I have video (you knew there had to be video, right?):



This is a bit easier than the "right" way, but, oddly enough, harder to untie, especially if she double-knots them. Either way, she doesn't wear tie shoes all that often, but I'm certainly glad she learned how to do it. When she's a bit more confident I will try to get her to do it the "right" way. Because that's how we did it when I was a kid, dadgumit!

She's working on reading, as well, and although she's doing okay, I don't have video yet. Soon enough we will give her a book cold and she'll be able to get through it. Then, the camera and the pressure will be on! Will she fold like a cheap lawn chair? Only the future knows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home