The Daughter Chronicles

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Norah had a playdate!

Yes, this past Thursday (10 September), Norah had her first playdate. You might wonder why she's two months past her fourth birthday and hasn't had a playdate yet (well, you might). It's basically because her father has never made one for her, so she didn't know the concept even existed. She always seemed perfectly happy doing her thing, so I never went out of my way to set one up.

Then, last week, while she was at her swimming lesson, one of the boys that has been hanging out with her there for some time asked her if she wanted to have a playdate. So I set it up with his mother, and on Thursday, he came over with his dad. It was quite fun. Norah and Alex played inside for a while with her kitchen and her garage, and then they went in the pool for a while. His dad had to leave a little early for a business phone call, but we're planning on getting together again soon.

Norah cracks me up when it comes to kids her age. I don't know if she's typical or not in this regard. She tends to do her own thing and, if any kid comes over, she'll play with them. She doesn't really seek out kids too much. Mia's speech therapist asked if she hangs out more with girls or boys, as girls her age tend to play with other girls. She asked that because Norah keeps telling us about the two boys at school she plays with. Naturally, one is a "good guy" (her words) and the other often takes her toys. Ah, the classic good boy/bad boy dilemma! And now there's Alex. Where will he fit in???? Norah acts like an only child quite a bit (not surprisingly, I suppose), as she amuses herself very easily. I have seen her go up to kids and start playing with them, but I know it's more likely to be the other way around. Therefore, she doesn't care who she plays with - boy or girl, it's all good to her!

She was very excited about her playdate, and I hope she has fun with any others she might have. She's already stringing the boys along!

2 Comments:

  • I always hated the notion of the playdate, but I'm old, went to my neighborhood school, and just played with the neighbor kids. Lydia goes on playdates. Eh.

    By Blogger Roger Owen Green, at 14/9/09 2:14 AM  

  • Yeah, I don't like them either, which is why I've never brought them up to Norah. The problem is that there aren't a lot of neighborhood kids around for Norah to play with. And during the summer, no one goes outside. There's a kid down the street who's about her age - maybe this winter she'll start going down and playing with him!

    By Blogger Greg, at 15/9/09 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home