The Daughter Chronicles

Monday, June 25, 2007

Big-time Birthday Blowout Bash!

Friday was Norah's 2nd birthday, and I apologize for not putting something up then, but Fridays are hectic around here. So now it's a lazy Monday, and we had the party over the weekend, and that means pictures!

So. Norah at two. According to Mia's occupational therapist, Norah is a bit ahead of the curve in terms of fine motor skills, but she's still not talking much. A friend of Krys's came to the party with her 20-month-old, who used more words coherently than Norah did. It's interesting looking at the different ways kids develop. We're not particularly worried, because she uses plenty of words, but she doesn't initiate a lot of things. So we're keeping an eye on her for now.

It's amazing how quickly kids grow at this stage. A year ago she wasn't standing up, and now she's zipping around like crazy. I'm sure next year I'll be thinking about how weird it was that she wasn't talking because when she turns three I bet we won't be able to shut her up. But she's doing very well, and she's behaving very well. I'm a bit worried, because a few months ago she was behaving rather poorly, and I thought her Terrible Twos had begun. But these days she behaves pretty well, unless Krys is around (poor Krys - the kids whine to be with her and then cry when she pays attention to them). I really hope that this continues and doesn't devolve into the Terrible Twos. We couldn't be that lucky to have experienced them already, could we? Probably not.

She's also very helpful around the house. I decided to stop cleaning up her toys, because she understands me and she can walk, so she needs to get on it! She has no problem whatsoever cleaning up - in fact, she starts saying "clean up" before we eat dinner most nights, and gets a bit cranky that she has to wait. This is another aspect of her behavior that I'm sure will change once she figures out that cleaning up is work, and not play. She'll say, "What the heck?" and that will be the end of that. But for now, she's very willing to help, and when we're done, we wrestle on the floor while Krys sits with Mia and watches. Norah is very excited about the wrestling.

We had a nice party on Saturday for her, despite the fact that not a lot of people came. First of all, we have no family around, so they're out. Second of all, Norah doesn't know many people. She's two. Third of all, we don't have many friends in the area, and the ones we do have live far away and it's hard for them to make it over here. It turned out that most of the people who showed up were connected to Mia. But that's okay - Norah had fun, and she liked playing with the 20-month-old who was here. We weren't sure how she'd interact with a kid her own age, but after some initial reluctance, she enjoyed it. So that was cool - Krys has already spoken to the girl's mother about coming over to play occasionally.

Let's check out some pictures, shall we? I didn't take a lot because I thought I was filming it, but it turned out I hadn't pressed the "record" button. Yes, I'm that stupid. Mia's pre-school teacher filmed some of it, too, so we'll have to get the footage from her. But we did get some nice photographs.

This is Saturday morning. Norah likes climbing in bed with Mommy. Mommy is less enthusiastic about it.

Here she is in her birthday party outfit.

We had a whole Elmo theme going on for the party, including the cake. Damned fine cake, that was. Even Mia ate some, which is kind of surprising.

Norah looks suspicious of the man with the camera!

Since I didn't get any pictures of her opening presents, I thought I'd take a few of her playing with her new stuff.


In that last picture, she's chewing on plastic fruit. At least it's representative of something you can eat!

I realized while looking at her birthday post from last year that I linked to a lot of the significant posts about her life in her first year. Well, I'm not going to do that this time, because I'm lazy. I will point out that the post about her birth remains one of my favorites. So check it out if you haven't already!

Man, she's two. It's all downhill from here, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home