The Daughter Chronicles

Friday, December 14, 2007

Why no crust?

Norah's big meal these days is peanut butter and jelly, or, as she calls it, "ButterJelly!" (All one word, of course). Mia actually likes it, too, so it's a favorite around the house, to the slight detriment of other food. I can still give Norah other food, but I have to explain why she can't have ButterJelly every single meal of the day. Or can she????

It's nice to see Mia eating it too, because the struggle with her preferences continues. She's doing fine with her weight and probably her nutrition as well (at least she looks healthy!), but it's still tough getting her to eat a wide variety of things. She's a typical five-year-old, I guess, but it's still frustrating.

My question is, Why do people assume kids don't like the crust of bread? We get Mia the pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and the label actually proclaims that it comes without crust, just like kids like it. I happen to LOVE crust. In fact, the heels of loaves are my favorite parts of the bread. Mia and Norah have never shown any inclination to not eat crust. They simply chow down on the bread and don't even notice the crust. Adults eat crusts. So why do we think children don't want them? Do the kids whine about it, or do adults simply assume that they won't want them and cut them off before the kids even think to ask? Kids will mimic what you do and say, and if you give them bread with crusts, they'll eat it.

This is what I think about when Norah is asleep and I have time to think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home