The Daughter Chronicles

Friday, November 30, 2007

Not unlike Ian Astbury, Norah loves the rain¹

Today it rained all afternoon and a few times in the morning. It's quite shocking, even in the autumn and winter in Arizona. It poured this morning for about three minutes, which is pretty common, and I just figured it would do that a few times during the day and be done with it. But around noon it started raining and it's been coming down ever since - we're working on five hours of constant precipitation, which is stunning. I don't mind the rain at all, because we need it, and even when we lived in Portland, I didn't mind it. There's something very nice about a soothing rain, especially when it's not cold enough to close the windows, which it wasn't today. I kept the front door open and the storm door closed, and the back windows were open, so we got a nice breeze in the house.

Norah was fascinated as well. She hardly ever sees it rain, obviously, and I'm not sure if she remembers the last time it actually came down while she was awake and could see it. I can't remember the last time it came down while she was awake - we've gotten some rain at night recently, but not much during the day. So she stared out the front door until I said, "Let's check it out." We went out in the front of the house and I stood in the driveway for a minute telling her to come check it out. After deciding it wasn't going to kill her (she always must decide that about everything), she walked out and stood in the open. She was mesmerized! She kept saying "water," and I kept telling her the water was coming from the sky. She held her hand under the constant stream falling off the roof, then walked around a little bit, getting her hair all wet. Finally I told her to come inside because she was getting too wet and it was a little bit chilly. Of course, that was a mistake, as she now thought rain was the coolest thing EVER! I had to pick her up and take her back into the house, which pissed her off. How dare I introduce her to this wonderful sensation and then cruelly rip it away from her! Don't I know who she is?????

She recovered quickly once we got inside - bless that two-year-old attention span! - and we ate lunch before she went down for a nap. When she woke up, she was still somewhat fascinated by it, but it appears she's moved on. It will be interesting to see if she's as jazzed by rain the next time it comes down. As it's Arizona, that could be four or five months. A couple of years ago we went four months with absolutely no rain, so it's possible.

Of course, I took pictures of her enjoying the rain:


The world is a strange place for a two-year-old!

ยน The title of the post is a reference to a song by The Cult, "Rain," from their 1985 album Love. It's true - here are the lyrics!

1 Comments:

  • Hey! I was thinking about you guys the other day and realized that I hadn't checked the blog in forever or said hello in a very long time. How are you? The girls seem to be doing well, and are as cute as ever. I'm flying home the 19th so I'll be sure to call you when I get in, I'm only staying till the 31st this time. Decided it would be better to have a short trip since well you know..anyway, I hope you are all well and I miss you guys and I'll see you when I get home!
    Rachel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/12/07 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home