The Daughter Chronicles

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Norah's snobby liberal education continues!

Being the good liberal jerks we are, Krys and I think it would be groovy for Norah to learn artistic stuff, so we asked her if she wanted to take piano lessons this year. (Obviously, I'm joking - if she wants to be all scientific like a weirdo, we'd be happy with that, too.) She said she would, so for six weeks, she took lessons one day a week before school. The teacher told us she needs six students and she only had four in the class that just ended, so the next one is in jeopardy, but we're not going to worry about that right now. Norah seemed to enjoy it (I say seemed because Norah is odd in some ways, including not acting very enthusiastic about things she claims she really likes while she's not engaged in them - while she's doing them, she seems to love them), and I would love it if she wanted to continue. We'll see, though. What's important right now is that she gave a "recital" after six weeks, and I was there with a video camera! She played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and "London Bridge," and naturally she rocked! Okay, maybe not, but she was only taking lessons for six weeks! You'll notice a few things in this video: One, she looks absolutely miserable. I think she was a bit scared of performing in front of people, because I did ask her if she enjoyed it, and she said yes. I hope that she understands that she can tell me she doesn't like it if she really doesn't like it - I don't think I'm that much of a tyrant! Two, she has some issues with playing with both hands at the same time. Apparently this is really hard to learn, according to the teacher. It's one of those things that, as an adult, it comes so naturally that I, at least, have forgotten if it was difficult for me when I took piano lessons. Maybe it was. It's fascinating, though, and it's one small reason why I think it would be good for Norah to take lessons - playing an instrument, like tying shoes, is about more than the actual outcome. Anyway, enjoy her performance. I do hope there will be more of them!

2 Comments:

  • Lydia's taking two dance classes, jazz on Monday and ballet on Friday, and as I expected, it's too much. She's missed at least one of each. Friday night is too fraught with other things to do.

    By Blogger Roger Owen Green, at 13/10/11 2:14 AM  

  • Yeah, I think two dance classes might be a bit much for Norah. We like to mix things up a bit. We worry about overloading her, too, and we're always keeping an eye on her to make sure she's not struggling with too much!

    By Blogger Greg, at 13/10/11 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home